This is one of those recipes where freezing leftover pasta pays off. You can skip a time consuming step for this recipe if you already have pasts cooked and ready to go!
If you have a choice of chorizo, obviously get the portugese chorizo if you can but if you only have a choice between spanish and mexican, get the spanish.
Portugal - Pasta with Mussels and Chorizo
Serves 4 - 6
- 1 lb pasta, penne, or small spirals
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chorizo sausage links, chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlice, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 4 lbs mussles, washed and debearded
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, reserve 1 cup of the cooking liquid before draining. Set aside
- In the same pot you cooked the pasta in, heat the oil over medium high and saute the chorizo and shallots until golden
- Add in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds
- Add in the wine and simmer about 5 minutes until reduced by half
- Pour the sausage mixture into a bowl and keep warm.
- Add an inch of water to the bottom of the same pot and add the mussels.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the mussels are open, about 4 minutes
- Drain the mussels, add in the pasta, sausage mixture and mussels all to the pot.
- Add the leftover pasta water as necessary to get a nice moist pasta
- Sprinkle with cilantro, parsley and lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper as necessary
ps. I threw in some chopped up beet greens with the sausage and shallots. It was a great way to up the veggie content and a great way to use up some 'in season' beet greens. They tasted perfect!