Saturday, June 19, 2010

Denmark - Toast Skagen

Here's another recipe from the 2010 FIFA World Cup Menu - Week 2. This is one of my very favorites. I used to spend a lot of time in Sweden and I fell in love with the country. This is a common appetizer.  Midsommer is one of my favorite holidays anywhere, anytime! The Danish call it Sankthansaften. The Scandinavian countries are quite similar although I know for a fact that none of them would agree to that!

I love Toast Skagen and it really is a perfect summer dish. Yes it's more of an appetizer than a meal but I could not resist including it in this menu. The name comes from the northern tip of Denmark, Skagen which is a popular fishing port. So even though it is really Swedish I had to include it. Really - it screams summer!

I was also torn because even thought the Swedish national team didn't make the world cup, they are celebrating a royal wedding today! Crown Princess Victoria is getting married (or is by the time this is posted)! So perhaps my little cheat here will be forgiven. Don't forget, Midsummer is celebrated in Denmark on the evening of June 23rd. The actual summer solstice is June 21st. I may have a shot of Aquavit on both days! Celebrate the longest day of the year! Skaal! (Proncounced Skoal!)

Toast Skagen
Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1lb small peeled cooked shrimp
  • 4 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 4 tbsp creme fraiche or sour cream
  • 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
  • 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • salt and pepper
  • 4 slices white bread, buttered
  • 3 oz white fish caviar (I've used the sushi red fish eggs because that's what I could get locally and they worked perfect)
  • diced red onion for garnish
  • lemon wedges for garnish
Instructions:
  1. Dice up the shrimp
  2. Mix the mayo, creme fraiche, dill and lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste
  3. Add in the shrimp
  4. Saute the bread until golden, cut into triangles
  5. Spoon the mixture on each triangle of bread
  6. Top with caviar, red onion and a sprig of dill
  7. Serve with a wedge of lemon on the side.
Enjoy with a shot of aquivat. Skaal!!

No comments: