This recipe calls for mirin which can be hard to find. Mirin is a sweet rice wine. If you can't find it use a mixture of 2/3 rice vinegar, 1/3 water and a bit of sugar. You are looking for a sweet tangy taste.
- 2/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 tbsp sugar (even if you use the mirin substitute listed above, add this amount in addition to what you put in the vinegar mix)
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 8 shitake mushrooms
- 8 green onions, cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1 each, red and green pepper cut into 1 inch chunks
- If using bamboo skewers, soak in water for 30 minutes
- In a saucepan, mix soy, mirin and sugar.
- Heat until the sugar is dissolved and let cool
- Heat the barbecue or broiler to high
- Thread the chicken, mushrooms, green onions and peppers onto the shewers
- Brush the skewers with the sauce and barbecue or broil, turning until cooked through.
- Baste with the sauce as you turn the skewers
- Serve over rice or noodles with the leftover sauce.
Enjoy! So far the Japanese have won their first game on foreign soil in the World Cup!