The rest of the Euro 2012 menu is here.
Russia - Shashlyk
- 1 lb beef or pork
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Cube the beef into 1 inch/2 cm cubes
- Dice 1 onion into 1 inch/2 cm cubes
- Grate the remaining onion and garlic, place in a shallow dish
- Add remaining ingredients to the dish and mix well
- Toss in the meat and onion cubes
- Marinate overnight covered in the fridge.
- Heat the bbq, grill or grill pan to high heat.
- Place the meat and onion cubes on skewers, alternating meat and onion
- Grill the skewers on all sides until seared and browned.
- Serve with steamed root vegetables like turnip and carrots and some pickled veggies like pickled beets.
I enjoyed mine with steamed turnip, pickled beets and some bottle bbq sauce on the side.