Okay on to today's meal. If it is hot and steamy where you are you could just through some nice German sausages on the BBQ and serve the potato salad cold. As it is here the temp is 12C (56F) on my deck and it's raining to beat the band. You know it's raining hard when 2 hardy Bouviers (dogs, see pic on right) won't go outside. So I'm not BBQing! I love Wiener Schnitzel and this recipe is really simple. Traditional recipes call for veal but veal can be hard to find around here so I often use pork sirloin which works perfectly in this dish. It's actually part of my regular menu rotation, just steam some veggies on the side for a super quick weeknight meal.
Here's the rest of the Euro 2012 Group Stage Menu
- 1lb pork sirloin cut into 4 equal portions
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tsp sunflower oil (or any neutral tasting oil)
- 1lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- Place pork between 2 pieces of plastic wrap or place in zip lock bag. Pound pork out until it's 1/4 inch thick
- Beat eggs in a shallow dish
- Place flour in another shallow dish
- Place bread crumbs in another shallow dish
- Dip pork in flour, then eggs, then bread crumbs, set aside
- Place butter and oil in a skillet and heat over medium high heat.
- Saute the pork portions until golden on each side. They shouldn't take long, 4 minutes or so on each side.
- Serve each piece with a wedge of lemon.
- 3 cups diced potatoes (new potatoes work wonderful here) peeled or unpeeled, your choice
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Grainy Dijon mustard
- Place potatoes in a pot of water and bring to boil. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile heat a skillet over medium high heat and add bacon. Cook the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon and let drain on some paper towel. Crumble when cool enough to handle.
- Cook the onion in the bacon grease until tender.
- Add the vinegar, water and sugar. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved
- Toss in the potatoes and bacon and heat through.
- Serve with the Grainy Dijon mustard on the side.