Serves 8, almost 2 cup servings (at least!) - 5 points per serving
- 2 slices back bacon, diced
- 2 ounces (60 g) prosciutto, diced
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced celery (don't like celery - try using 1 tbsp of celery seeds from the spice aisle, you can even grind them up to make celery powder, you just want the undertone for the mirepoix(fancy french word for stock base))
- 1 tbsp dried parsley and thyme
- 1 450g/1 lb bag of dried split peas, yellow or green
- 9 cups of low sodium veggie broth - you could need more broth if the consistency of the soup needs it for your preference.
I topped ours with croutons (don't forget to add the extra points!) but it didn't need it. It's a pretty filling soup on it's own.
I used 6 cups of broth leftover from our Jigg's Dinner the night before. It was really fat free. I had trimmed a lean cut of corned beef when I made the Jigg's Dinner so there was no fat in the leftover broth. Plus it sat in the fridge overnight so any fat would have risen to the top to be skimmed off. I used the last 3 cups of broth from the organic section of the Superstore. It's a low sodium veggie broth.