Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Honduras - Black Bean Soup

Here is another recipe for the 2010 FIFA World Cup Menu - Week 3. This recipe has a few variables that allow you to make it your own. For the heat you can use whatever chilies you like. I've seen this soup done with jalapeno, chipotle or Tabasco. I've also seen people leave out the heat completely. In the summer a spicy meal that makes you sweat it a great way to stay cool so we'll be adding the heat here. I like a chipotle. When I open a can I take out each chipotle pepper and wrap it separately and freeze them. I never have a recipe that calls for a whole can of chipotle so freezing the leftovers individually means I have peppers ready to go for all those recipes that call for just one.

I've also seen this recipe call for sherry, red wine or dark rum. You can leave out the alcohol. I use whatever I have on hand. Usually that's red wine. It's only a small amount but it does give a little depth in the flavour profile of the soup.

Honduras - Black Bean Soup
Serves 4 -6

Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium sweet red or yellow pepper, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 19 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 cups beef or veggie broth
  • 1 chipotle pepper, chopped (use 2 if you like it extra spicy!)
  • 1 14 ounce can chopped tomatoes
  • 1/2 lime
  • 1/4 cup red wine
  • 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro

Instructions:
  1. Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a saucepan.
  2. Add the onion and sweet pepper and saute until softened
  3. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds
  4. Add the beans, broth, chipotle pepper and tomatoes
  5. Simmer 10 minutes
  6. Squeeze the juice from the lime and add to the soup.
  7. Add the wine and stir well
  8. Stir in the cilantro and serve

Enjoy!

No comments: