I've also seen this recipe call for sherry, red wine or dark rum. You can leave out the alcohol. I use whatever I have on hand. Usually that's red wine. It's only a small amount but it does give a little depth in the flavour profile of the soup.
Honduras - Black Bean Soup
Serves 4 -6
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red or yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 19 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups beef or veggie broth
- 1 chipotle pepper, chopped (use 2 if you like it extra spicy!)
- 1 14 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 lime
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a saucepan.
- Add the onion and sweet pepper and saute until softened
- Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds
- Add the beans, broth, chipotle pepper and tomatoes
- Simmer 10 minutes
- Squeeze the juice from the lime and add to the soup.
- Add the wine and stir well
- Stir in the cilantro and serve