Sunday, February 07, 2010

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!!!

Oh my goddess I'm excited! It's like Christmas. The first thought I had when I woke up this morning was "YAHOO, it's here, it's Super Bowl Sunday!". I wait all year for this day. The two top seeds from each conference are playing off which is unusual. Usually the game is very one sided. So this one should be good. My folks are coming over to watch with me. I already had food planned but thought it might not be enough so I've added Broccoli and Cheese Stromboli to the menu. I made them up last night and I'll just reheat them during the game. Easy and cheap!

Broccoli and Cheese Stromboli
Serves 6 - 8 as snacks

(For some reason the formating is not working today, my apologies)
Ingredients:
1 lb frozen pizza dough
2 cups diced broccoli, fresh or frozen
1 cup shredded cheddar and/or mozzarella
2 tbsp pesto sauce
1/2 cup tomato/pizza sauce

Instructions:
Heat oven to 400F/200C degrees and spray a baking sheet with veg oil
Divide defrosted dough into 8 equal pieces
Flour surface and roll out each piece into a rectangle (I didn't roll out the dough, I stretched it by hand and I had thin spots that resulted in blowouts. Next time I'll use my rolling pin {empty wine bottle} for better results)
Drizzle each dough piece with pesto sauce down the middle, about 1 tsp
Top pesto with broccoli and cheese, divided between all 8 pieces
Drizzle a bit of tomato sauce on top of each, again about 1 tsp
Roll up each Stromboli and place seam side down on baking sheet
Bake for 20 minutes until the dough is nice a golden
Serve with more tomato/pizza sauce for dipping

Don't worry if you don't have pesto on hand (I have some in a tube). You can just drizzle a little pizza sauce on the bottom. Overall don't put too much sauce in or you'll end up with a messy hot sauce torpedo. Make these ahead, only baking 15 minutes, cool and refrigerate. Reheat at 350 for 10 - 15 minutes until it's heated through. These would be fin for a Friday night with the kids!

I expect to be hoarse by tomorrow morning. Tomorrow I'm posting the finalized Olympics Menu!! Stay tuned!

No comments: