Monday, January 09, 2012

Time to Detox! Day 1

After an indulgent holiday season I feel compelled to set my body right.  October's Self magazine had a really nice 7 day Cancer fighting menu that sounded yummy and looked totally doable.  It's daily intake is between 1800 and 2000 calories which is a little higher than I want but I'll make some adjustments as I go along.  For the complete menu as Self published it check it out here http://www.self.com/health/2011/10/cancer-fighting-meal-plan-slideshow#slide=1 .  I've decided it is just the right 7 day directive to set me back on track.  Welcome to day 1.

Breakfast:
Blueberry, Banana, Orange Smoothie!
  • to make 4 + cups/4 servings toss 1 cup blueberries, 1 banana and 1 peeled orange in a blender, add 1/2 cup yogurt and about 1/2 - 1 cup milk, add a splash of vanilla and blend until smooth. Using the whole orange instead of just the juice gives you all the nutrition of the fruit, not just the empty sugary calories. 
Whole Wheat English Muffin and 1 tbsp Peanut Butter (all natural, no added sugar or salt- you really have to try this stuff, so much tastier than the processed stuff)

Lunch:
(this is a bit of a problem as my day starts late so I tend to miss lunch and just snack but this is also a good place to downsize the caloric daily intake of the original menu)
Tomato soup and Whole Wheat Roll (I'm skipping the bean salad since there are already beans in the dinner salad)

Dinner:
Spinach Pizza with Romaine Salad
  • You can use fresh or frozen spinach for this pizza.  Heat 2 tsp olive oil over medium heat and saute 1 clove of minced garlic.  Add the spinach and saute for 2 minutes or until wilted. Spread a whole wheat pita (I have Weight Watchers pitas) with tomato paste or tomato pesto, toast for 2 minutes.  Mix the spinach with a couple of tbsp of low fat cottage cheese.  Spread over the pizza.  Sprinkle with part skim mozzarella.  Top with thinly sliced red onion.  Broil for a couple of minutes until golden. 
  • Shred romaine lettuce, toss with beans (chickpeas or white kidney beans), cherry tomatoes, shredded carrots, sliced red onion. Dress salad with a light balsamic vinaigrette (I have Paul Newman's light Balsamic) or a light Italian vinaigrette. 
Snack:
Tonight is the BCS College Football Championship so I'll be having a beer, this menu is not about denial! and some popcorn.  I have an air popper and I love it but if you don't have an air popper I did hear someone say you can take 2 tbsp popcorn and put it in a paper lunch bag, fold the top and microwave for 2-3 minutes until the popping stops (also way cheaper than buying microwave packs!).  I've never tried this method so.... 

YUM!

No comments: