Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Detox/Reset Menu Week 2 - Day 2

One thing I'm noticing with this menu I'm following is that there are a lot of beans as well as whole grains.  I've always prided myself at how much fiber I get on a daily basis but this menu really had it covered!  One thing I've learned is that adding a tbsp of beans to a salad is an easy was to up the daily intake and that's a good thing.  I love it when I pick up a new and easy healthy habit!

Week 2 - Day 2

Breakfast
English Muffin with Natural Peanut Butter, Clementine, 1 cup Skim Milk

Lunch
Leftover Turkey Rice Soup

Dinner
Grilled Salmon, Braised Red and Green Cabbage, Polenta and Garden Salad
Braised Red and Green Cabbage
  • Slice up about 1- 1 1/2 cups of cabbage per person, both red and green
  • Heat 1 tsp per serving of butter and olive oil in a saucepan
  • Toss in a few fennel seeds and 1/4 tsp dried thyme per serving
  • Once the butter is melted add in some sliced red onion and saute until soft
  • Add in the cabbage and about 1/4 cup veggie or chicken broth per serving
  • Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes
  • Add a couple of splashes of balsamic vinegar per serving, turn heat up to medium high, leave lid off and simmer until the liquid is reduced and the cabbage is tender and sweet. About 10 minutes

  • Grill salmon on bbq or in grill pan on the stove (crispy skin is really tasty - give it a try!)
  • Follow the directions for the polenta
  • Mix a salad with romaine, tomato, cucumber, mushrooms, red onion, peppers, white kidney beans. Top with light balsamic vinaigrette.
Last night I had popcorn from my air popper (I love my air popper!) Tonight I'll probably have some edamame in the shell, microwaved for 3 minutes then tossed with a little salt. Tasty!

No comments: