Monday, July 10, 2006

The Heat of Aruuuuugula.

It's been a while since I have posted... not because I have stopped eating! We were away to Newport Rhode Island for the long weekend. And since we have been back it's been hot, hot, hot. Everything has gone on the bbq. The next time you buy a bbq, really try to get one with a side burner. It's a real blessing on those extra hot days. I can boil pasta or steam veggies without heating up the house. So many of us just think of our bbqs as a place to grill meat. But there is so much more you can do. I like cooking with indirect heat. I roast meat or veggies by turning up all the burners to 'hi' to let the bbq warm up, once it's good and hot, I turn off the burners under the spot I'm going to put the food. I put the food on and close the lid. And clean up is a breeze!

This past week I found a box of arugula at the grocery store. It's not something we get in bulk like that here. Mostly you see it in the herb section in little bags. I'm so excited, we have some many uses for arugula. For those of you not familiar with arugula, it's peppery in taste and does well when balanced with a sweet or salty taste. Last night I served Planked Salmon with Maple Dijon Dressing and Parmesan on a bed of Arugula. It was perfect. The contrasts of flavors was just right. Tonight I'm making those Swedish pizzas I talked about. I have great multi-grain crusts I got at the farmers market. The pizzas consist of a little tomato sauce (I use my favorite pasta sauce that's low in sodium) Proscuitto, Arugula, Mozza and Parmesan. Yum. And I'll do them on the grill using the indirect heat method! Quick and Easy!

No comments: