Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Home alone again!

Since I'm home alone again, I thought I'd make something that only I like. So I'm going to bake some salmon with a maple glaze. And I'm going to have a side salad with a maple balsamic dressing I'm working on for a summer wedding lunch. I love maple and whenever my friend Troy comes over, I jump at the chance to make something with maple because he loves it too! And Balsamic?! I could just swim in the stuff! My better half, Tim, doesn't like either of them that much so I'm going to go big with it tonight while he is out with clients.

I spent much of the day pulling weeds. As someone who loves to cook, I also have a great appreciation for gardening. Small problem though... I'm allergic to weeds and grass. That's right, weeds. And today I was up to my eyeballs in them. But it had to be done. I'm developing a new appreciation for all things organic. Maybe I should word that differently... I'm developing a fear of all things not so natural and chemically poisenous. I have large hairy dogs and I'd prefer not to put down chemicals in the yard that is anywhere near them. So I ended up pulling weeds by hand. Now I'm about to start some seeds for our veggie garden at the cottage. I tried to find some heirloom variety seeds but it was hard. I did get 3 varieties of beets and 3 varieties of tomatoes. We'll add some plants once we actually break ground but I thought I try some seeds again. I have a bit of a black thumb (don't tell my relatives.. my mom and my grandmother can grown a silk purse out of a sows ear....) Mom isn't handy to the cottage but Tim's mom is and she is like my mom... can grow anything. So hopefully we'll have some fruits to show for our labour (pun fully intended!)

No comments: