Friday, May 05, 2006

Cinco de Mayo!

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Tonight it's Mexican for sure. I'm doing Pork Kebabs with a Mango Salsa. The Salsa is made of the following:
  • 1 can of Black Beans
  • 1 Mango, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 red onion, finely diced
  • 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (wear a glove or use a sandwich bag to prevent the irrating chemicals from getting on your hands and eventually into your eyes.... or maybe that's just me....)

Mix the following and pour over the above ingredients.

  • 2 tablespoons lime juice (I'll have fresh ones on had for making margaritas anway!)
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
  • pinch of salt

This recipe is from the Weight Watchers "Take Out Tonight" cookbook. It's great. I love this book. A friend of mine has tried just about every single recipe in it. She wasn't impressed with the Chinese recipes but she lives in NJ so she has access to awesome chinese food. Living here in Canada, I don't so I like the Chinese recipes too.

For the Pork I'm going to marinate it in some chili powder, cumin, hot sauce and cilantro. I'm thinking to serve it with either refried beans or polenta. I know polenta doesn't sound very mexican but it should be, it's just cornmeal. I think I'll season it with mexican spices... Ooo, I have some chipotle powder and some Chedder and Monteray Jack cheeses to mix in. yum!

And of course there will be margaritas and mexican beer. And the best part of it all? It's a beautiful warm day! 20 degrees (that's 72 for you non-metric folks) which is just perfect!

Adios and Buenos Noches

No comments: