Sunday, May 07, 2006

BBQ Season has begun!

Last night we took advantage of the improving weather and planked some Salmon. For those of you who haven't had this experience, let me tell you, you are missing out on something fantastic! Planked Salmon was originally a cooking method used by the native people here in Canada. They would take a wooden plank and put the fish on it. The whole thing would go over the fire and the wonderful aromas from the wood would penetrate the food.

I used a Cedar plan, soaked it in water for about an hour and then put it on a hot bbq. Once it started to smoke, I put the salmon steaks on it. I turned the heat down to med-high. After 15 minutes I put on the sauce. I made a Southwest Sauce out of the following:
  • 2 tbsp fat free mayo
  • 3 tbsp lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp cumin, oregano and salt substitute
  • a couple of drop of hot sauce and a pinch of chipotle powder
  • 3 tbsp of fresh cilantro, chopped

I mixed it all, except the cilantro (I sprinkled that on right before serving)

I served this with leftover Black-Bean Mango Salsa from the night before and a salad.

Tonight it's leftovers. I enjoy the challenge of trying to make something edible out of the leftovers in my fridge. I'm thinking corn tortilla with leftover refried beans and a salad.

We picked up some fantastic multi-grain pizza crusts and I can't wait to try them out tomorrow night. I like to make non-traditional pizzas so stay tuned!

No comments: