Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Life in the Big City...

One of the things I like most about our cottage is that there is a great farmer's market close by. I can get fresh, local ingredients 7 days a week. I only buy local ingredients when they are available. Not only am I supporting the local farmers, but the taste of the produce right from the farm is about as good as life gets. I often hear the staff talking about the various local farmers who call regularily about bringing in their produce. It's amazing. They also stock local dairy products and meats, including organic meats! Sounds great, right?! So can someone explain to me why we don't have access to the same type of market right here in the booming city of Moncton? I know we have our farmers market on Saturday mornings, as well as the city markets in Moncton and Dieppe, but what about the other 6 days a week? Now some of you may be saying, well now you can get your fruits and veggies on Saturday morning for the week. But some things only taste best when they come right from the farm, picked that morning, like corn. I had local corn on the weekend but yesterday when I went to our local outlet of the regional grocery store chain, the corn was from the US. Now by the time the corn has travelled up from the US, all the wonderful sugars in it have turned to starch. Blah. What is the point of that? We do have a Stirlings (which is a farm stand) but it's only open in Fall, Winter and Spring. Which makes absolutely no sense to me! Okay, Fall I can understand. But not being open in Summer?! UGH!

No comments: