Thursday, August 25, 2011

Beets!

I love beets!  I never did as a child and I've learned a lot of other people never did either.  I don't know if it's the colour or the fact that the only way we ever saw them was pickled.  I'm not a huge fan of pickles in general.  They're all right but around here they are served as condiments for a big cooked dinner.  When I'm having a big cooked dinner of potatoes, veggies, roasted meat and gravy I tend to have little room leftover for condiments.  Hence, beets never made it into my standard repertoire.  But as a travelling foodie beets have made their way into my heart.  And as a gardener they've made their way into my garden!  I always swipe some young ones for their green tops to saute as a simple green side dish.  Mmmm

I like my beets done simply.  Roasted if you please!  Here is a quick way to make beets to take to your next BBQ and have leftovers for delicious salad later on.

BBQ Beets
Serves 6-8

Ingredients:
  • 2 lb of beets, greens removed and washed
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2/3 cup of balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 blue cheese
  • salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
  1. Cut any large beets in halves or quarters so that all the beets/pieces are roughly the same size.  I like them around 1 1/2 inches or big enough not to fall through the grates of the BBQ.
  2. Place the beets in a pot of water and bring to a boil on the stove
  3. Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer until the beets are tender when poked with a folk, about 20 minutes
  4. Remove the pot from the stove, drain and let cook until you can handle them
  5. Now if you don't have gloves your going to end up with very pink hands.  I get a pack of plastic gloves at the dollar store and have them on hand for just such an occassion.
  6. Remove the skins on the beets by rubbing them with your hands. 
  7. Toss the beets with olive oil, now they are ready for the grill whenever you want them.
  8. In a small bowl mix the balsamic and blue cheese.  Set aside
  9. You can travel to your BBQ party with one large bowl of pre-boiled beets and a small container of the balsamic and blue cheese mixture (or you can have this ready to go ahead of time if you're the host)
  10. Heat the BBQ to high.  Grill the beets on all sided for just a couple of minutes
  11. Return the beets to the big bowl, pour the balsamic and blue cheese over and toss..
I live mine as a side to red meat or portabello burgers.  Save any leftovers to toss with some salad greens and toasted nuts.  I like pumpkin seeds!

Enjoy!

No comments: