I like my beets done simply. Roasted if you please! Here is a quick way to make beets to take to your next BBQ and have leftovers for delicious salad later on.
- 2 lb of beets, greens removed and washed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2/3 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 blue cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut any large beets in halves or quarters so that all the beets/pieces are roughly the same size. I like them around 1 1/2 inches or big enough not to fall through the grates of the BBQ.
- Place the beets in a pot of water and bring to a boil on the stove
- Reduce the heat to medium low, cover and simmer until the beets are tender when poked with a folk, about 20 minutes
- Remove the pot from the stove, drain and let cook until you can handle them
- Now if you don't have gloves your going to end up with very pink hands. I get a pack of plastic gloves at the dollar store and have them on hand for just such an occassion.
- Remove the skins on the beets by rubbing them with your hands.
- Toss the beets with olive oil, now they are ready for the grill whenever you want them.
- In a small bowl mix the balsamic and blue cheese. Set aside
- You can travel to your BBQ party with one large bowl of pre-boiled beets and a small container of the balsamic and blue cheese mixture (or you can have this ready to go ahead of time if you're the host)
- Heat the BBQ to high. Grill the beets on all sided for just a couple of minutes
- Return the beets to the big bowl, pour the balsamic and blue cheese over and toss..