- 1 can salmon, skinless and boneless
- 1 1/2 cup mashed potatoes
- 1 green onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 375
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil
- Mix all the ingredients together
- Bake 20 -25 minutes until browned
The mixture may be pretty loose depending on how creamy your mashed potatoes are. Don't worry, the cakes will still set up nicely.
You can saute these up in a pan but it's nice to just toss them in the oven and forget about them until they are done. I never like to stray too far from a saute pan on the stove top so baking is easier when you've got other things on the go! Steam some veggies and dinner is done. Any leftover salmon cakes?! Serve with an over easy egg for breakfast. Very Maritimes!
Potato and Leek Soup
Serves... well that depends on how big your pot is!
Ingredients (yes, the list is this short!):
- Chives or parsley (optional)
- Now how do you figure out the proportions? Take your big pot, fill it 1/4 with potatoes, 1/4 with chopped leek, fill almost to the top with water and throw in a bit of salt.
- Simmer until the potatoes and leeks are tender, about 30 minutes over medium/low heat
- Puree the soup with a stick blender, stand blender, food processor or your average, everyday potato masher.
- Add a couple of tablespoons of butter and your herbs, taste, add a bit more if necessary. If you are using a big pot you could add up to 1/2 cup of butter. Don't panic, you want to taste a hint of butter and if your pot is really large and you get about 10 servings, it's not that much per serving!
- Add more salt and pepper if necessary. This recipe is really about your taste.
This is a great starter to warm you up while you are waiting for supper to come together and it's filling so you'll eat less in your main course. I like it for lunch. I made a big pot and it freezes beautifully so I have some ready to go for the rest of the winter!