Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Grocery Store Finds!

I just got back from grocery shopping. As I go through the store I typically keep a running tally as I add things to my cart. It's just rough, I round up, I don't keep an exact tally with a calculator or anything. But it is amazing how many things you'll pass over when you are watching your total add up. It's a great way to stop yourself from overindulging in extras that aren't on your list!

HOWEVER, I do encourage you to pick up unplanned bargains in the veggie aisle. I got a good deal on 4 packs of peppers. So on the spot I changed my plans and added Stuffed Peppers to my menu. I grabbed some lean ground beef (I didn't have any ground meat at home.... although now that I think of if I did have some lean mild Italian sausage that I could of used. oh well) and some feta to make some Greek inspired stuffed peppers. I'll share the recipe when I make it. I'll also roast and freeze some of the peppers since I picked up a pack of red and a pack of green for a total of 8 peppers.

They also had the most wonderful looking baby bok choy.

So now I'll add something Asian to my menu. I have been hankering for a Chinese noodle soup....

The point is that it is better to build your meal plans around what looks good and is priced well at the store instead of setting down a plan and then ending up overpaying for less than best produce. And don't forget frozen this time of year. I hit a few good deals on some frozen veggies too. Best part about buying frozen? I don't have to worry about using them before they go bad!

Enjoy!

No comments: