Saturday, May 09, 2009

Mother's Day Lunch

Here's my plans for tomorrow's meal. Mom's trying to lose some weight so I'm keeping it light and healthy.



Caesar Salad with my Homemade Low Fat Caesar Dressing

Spaghettini with Asparagus

Berry Crisp

I'm using a recipe from a Swedish cookbook for the spaghettini with asparagus. I had to use my swedish-enlish dictionary to translate it! But the pic looked so good I couldn't resist. I have some big asparagus so I'll peel them to remove the tough outer layer. I'm going to cut them into strips to resemble the spaghettini. The recipe also calls for veggie broth but I don't have any on hand so I'm going to blanch the asparagus, then I'll use that water to boil the pasta and then I'll use that same water to contribute to the sauce for the final dish.

Spaghettini with Asparagus
Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 250 g of dry spaghettini
  • 1/2 - 3/4 lb of asparagus
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • shaved parmesan

Instructions:
  1. Bring a pot of water up to boil
  2. Peel the asparagus if the outer skin is tough, cut asparagus in to strips
  3. Blanche the asparagus until just bright green, place in cold water immediately to stop cooking, save water asparagus was boiled in.
  4. Bring water back up to a boil and cook spaghettini according to package instructions, reserve 1 cup of the liquid when draining the pasta
  5. Heat olive oil in a large skillet
  6. Soften onion, then add in garlic and cook one minutes
  7. Toss in the asparagus, lemon juice and the cooked pasta
  8. Add as much of the pasta cooking liquid as you want to get the sauce the consistency you want
  9. Salt and pepper to taste
  10. Serve with shaved parmesan on top
Stay tuned tomorrow for the pics of the end result and my berry crisp recipe!

No comments: