Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Midsummer, and I'm not talking Shakespear here!

Happy Midsummer! This is officially the longest day of the year. In some countries it is celebrated as the official start of summer. Tim and I celebrate it because it was when we decided to start dating. And today is our 5 year anniversary of that decision! We were in Sweden that year. Midsummer in Sweden is the most wonderful time of year. Everyone is out in the cafes. There are many boats on the water. It is truely beautiful. And the Swedes have peeled back their layers of winter clothing... It's not just for the men, ladies.... Trust me!

In the summer in Sweden the traditional meal is Salmon. At first I thought the Salmon was so delicious from the cold Baltic Sea but it seems the Salmon is actually farmed in Norway. I don't know what they do to them there but they are fantastic! And I know good Salmon, having spent a great deal of time in Newfoundland where the wild Salmon is magnificent.

Tonight we will start with Brie cheese grilled, well planked really, on a cedar plank on the BBQ. We'll have that with Champagne. Then we will have a traditional meal of Salmon, Asparagus and Small Potatoes with a side of Hollindaise sauce and a good Pinot Grigio. Skoal! (that's "Cheers" in Swedish and the traditional word used to toast) So celebrate the start of summer. May it be full of sunshine and warm weather!

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Happy Anniversary! How was the meal?

The Gourmet Goddess said...

Hollandaise sauce was a pre-mix. It was tooooo heavy. I should have made my own lighter version.