Use whatever veggies you've got on hand. The combo here is what I had handy.
Rainy Day Minestrone
Serves 8 -10
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 798ml/28 oz can of tomatoes
- 1/2 large cabbage diced
- 2 tsp each dried parsley, oregano and thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 cup orzo pasta or some other small pasta.
- 1 540ml/19 oz white kidney beans (also known as cannellini beans)
- Parmesan to serve.
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat with the olive oil
- Add in the onions, carrots and celery and saute until soft, about 5 minutes
- Add in the garlic, chicken broth, lemon juice, tomatoes, cabbage and dried herbs.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If I'm making this for later I would stop here and let the soup sit until shortly before I'm ready to head to the table.
- Bring the soup up to a boil.
- Add in the zucchini and pasta
- Simmer until the pasta is done. (refer to package directions for time)
- Stir in the beans and heat through
- Serve with a generous sprinkle of grated parmesan