Cheesy Spinach Pasta Bake
- 1 lb/454 g dried ziti or tube type pasta
- olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz/798 ml can diced tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 6-8 cups fresh spinach, chopped or 2 packs frozen, drained
- 500ml container low fat cottage cheese
- 3 cups shredded part skim mozzarella
- 1.5 cups shredded parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package but pull it from the water about 2 minutes before the recommended cooking time (it will absorb more fluid while baking in the oven) and drain
- Heat a large pot over medium high with a drizzle of olive oil
- Saute the onions until soft.
- Add in the garlic, tomatoes and oregano, simmer for 5 minutes
- Add in the spinach and stir until just wilted
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cottage cheese, 2 cups of the mozza and 1 cup of the parmesan.
- Add in the pasta.
- Pour the mix into a 9 X 13 baking pan (lasagna pan)
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 35 - 40 minutes until the dish is bubbly and brown.
Enjoy! (This one is nice for a make ahead dish for entertaining!)