I used chicken breasts because I hadn't taken anything out of the freezer and I knew they would defrost and cook quickest. I would have used chicken pieces on the bone if I had planned ahead.
Moroccan Chicken, Turnip and Carrot Tagine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cubed
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth (or enough to cover everything in the pot)
- 1 cup brown lentils(optional)
- Preheat oven to 325
- Heat a large, oven safe pot over medium high heat with the olive oil
- Saute the onion until soft.
- Add in all the spices from turmeric through thyme and cook in the pan for 2 -3 minutes
- Add garlic, chicken, turnip and carrots, sauteing until a bit brown, 3 - 5 minutes
- Mix in the tomato paste and broth.
- Cover and place in the oven for 1.5 hours.
- Place the pot on the stove on medium heat.
- Add the lentils and let simmer until they are tender, about 20 minutes
- Serve with couscous!