Sunday, October 24, 2010

Moroccan Chicken, Turnip and Carrot Tagine

I had one tasty dinner tonight! It incorporated some root veggies that are piling up in the farmers markets at the moment and turmeric. I do rave on about turmeric but it's for a good reason. I remembered to get a pic before it was all gone...




I used chicken breasts because I hadn't taken anything out of the freezer and I knew they would defrost and cook quickest. I would have used chicken pieces on the bone if I had planned ahead.

Moroccan Chicken, Turnip and Carrot Tagine
Ingredients:
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp paprika
  • 1/2 tsp ginger
  • 1 tsp thyme
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 chicken breasts, cubed
  • 1 medium turnip, peeled and cubed
  • 4 large carrots, peeled and cubed
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 2 cups chicken broth (or enough to cover everything in the pot)
  • 1 cup brown lentils(optional)

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325
  2. Heat a large, oven safe pot over medium high heat with the olive oil
  3. Saute the onion until soft.
  4. Add in all the spices from turmeric through thyme and cook in the pan for 2 -3 minutes
  5. Add garlic, chicken, turnip and carrots, sauteing until a bit brown, 3 - 5 minutes
  6. Mix in the tomato paste and broth.
  7. Cover and place in the oven for 1.5 hours.
  8. Place the pot on the stove on medium heat.
  9. Add the lentils and let simmer until they are tender, about 20 minutes
  10. Serve with couscous!

Amazing!

No comments: