Monday, October 11, 2010

Canadian Thanksgiving

Wow! It's been a while since I blogged. It's been a busy fall thus far! Today is one of those days when I feel like fall is officially here. Last week it was still warm and really humid. But now the weather has changed, it's getting cold at night, the leaves are turning wonderful shades of orange and red and this weekend is Thanksgiving! I do adore a turkey basted with herbs and butter and roasted until golden. Mmmmm, mmm!

This Thanksgiving I've added a few twists which I'll share but first make yourself - A Thanksgiving Cocktail! If you want so good tips for a perfect bird and lovely meal check out here.

Dry Brining
I dry brine my bird. It's easier then trying to find a space big enough to hold a turkey swimming in salt water. I just rub the bird with a good layer of salt put it in a bowl and cover and let it sit for 12 - 36 hours. Turn the bird around from time to time. I also added some herbs mixed with olive oil under the skin on the breast. She was a moist one, I've got to say...

Cranberry Sauce
I've been making my own for years but I got the feeling that my mother didn't really like my spicy pinot noir version so this year I went a little simpler and it was perfect!

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 2/3 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 2 tsp pumpkin spice

Instructions:
  1. Mix everything together in a saucepan and heat over medium heat.
  2. Simmer until the cranberries are all popped and broken down - about 15 - 20 minutes
  3. Cool and enjoy!
Roast Veggies
This year, instead of mashing turnip and carrot, I boiled them the night before and then popped them into the oven while the turkey was resting. One less pot on the stove and it really cut down on my prep work on turkey day.

Ingredients:
  • 5 medium parsnips
  • 1 medium turnip
  • 2 lb carrots
  • 3- 5 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2 tsp turmeric
  • 2 tsp dried thyme
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil

Instructions:
  1. Peel and cut the veggies into similar size pieces, about 1 1/2 inches each
  2. Boil the veggies in the chicken broth (I had already made my turkey broth so I used that!) until just tender when poked with the fork
  3. Drain the veggies (this can all be done the day before)
  4. Preheat the oven to 375F.
  5. Mix the honey, turmeric, thyme and veg oil. Toss the veggies with the mix
  6. Place in a shallow pan in a single layer
  7. Bake for 30 - 40 minutes.

Not only is this a tasty dish but you get some turmeric which is good for everything from your joints to your brain!

Happy Autumn!

No comments: