My Sparta F1 Tomatoes have developed a slight case of blight. That's the yellowing on the leaves from over watering.
It's imperative that you water your seedlings from the bottom by sitting the peat pots in water. This encourages the roots to dig down and not sit at the surface. That being said, I've been worried that the plants weren't getting enough water from the bottom so I've over watered them a bit by accident. I picked off some of the leaves and am letting the Sparta tomato plants get a little drier. Hopefully they'll be okay for planting but I'll have to decide which plants go in the ground when the time comes. I only had planned on planting 2 of the Sparta Plants and I have 5 so I should have 2 suitable ones. I also have 2 cherry variety tomatoes, Sub Arctic Plenty and Sweet Millions so I won't be at a loss for tomatoes no matter how the Spartas turn out.
Okay, on to food. I love having lunch ready to go in the summer time. Who wants to take a break from frolicking in the warm summer sun to make lunch?! This is one of my favorites. Serve it on lettuce.
White Bean and Tuna Salad
Serves 4 Ingredients:
- 1 can of white kidney beans or cannellini beans
- 1 can of your favorite tuna
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 - 3 tbsp Olive oil, basil or garlic flavored is nice
- Fresh basil, italian seasoning or balsamic vinegar (use your favorite!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Drain and rinse both the beans and tuna
- Mix everything but the salt and pepper, taste and only add enough salt and pepper as needed.