Serves 4 - 4 points per serving
- Spaghetti Squash or 2 cups of cooked spaghetti
- 1 cup of fat free cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp of italian seasoning or a combination of dried thyme, basil and oregano
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 cups fresh spinach or 1 package frozen
- 2 cups chopped broccoli
- 6 oz of diced cooked turkey (about 2 cups) or ground turkey
- 2 small cans (156ml) or 1 1/4 cup of low sodium V8 or 1 small can of tomato sauce (14 oz)
- 1 tsp italian seasoning (yes, again)
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozza and parm
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the spaghetti squash in half, scoop out the seeds. Place squash cut side down on either aluminum foil sprayed with nonstick spray or on parchment paper lining a baking sheet. Cook for 35 - 45 minutes until the strings inside the squash can be easy scrapped out with a fork. I did this in my toaster oven to prevent heating up the whole kitchen. Remove the strings from the squash.
While the squash is cooking, prepare layer 3. Heat a large non stick skillet over medium high heat. Spray the pan with nonstick spray. Saute the onions until they start to soften, add the garlic cooking one minute longer. Turn the heat down to medium. Add in the broccoli, turkey (if raw) and the V8 or tomato sauce. Simmer until the turkey and broccoli are almost cooked, about 10 minutes. You could brown the turkey if using raw, it's up to you. Add in the cooked turkey if using and the spinach with the italian seasoning. Cook for just a couple of minutes until the spinach is wilted. Remove pan from heat and set aside.
Prepare layer 2. Mix together, in a small bowl, the cottage cheese, the first bit of mozzarella, the egg whites and the other bit of italian seasoning. Set aside.
Spray a pie plate with nonstick cooking spray. Put the strings from the squash on the bottom of the pie plate. Make a sort of crust with it. You don't have to be perfect here so don't sweat it.
Pour on the cheese mixture (layer 2) and spread evenly over the squash. Pour on the meat and veggie mixture (layer 3) and spread evenly. Sprinkle on the mozza and parm (layer 4)
Bake for 40 minutes at 350 until the top is bubble and the pie is set.