Polenta with Italian Tomato, Zucchini and Bean Sauce
Serves 4 - 5
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 14 oz can of No Salt Added tomato sauce
- 19 oz can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- Grease a 9X5 bread pan and put aside.
- Heat the broth and Italian seasoning in a saucepan over medium heat until simmering
- Pour in the cornmeal a bit at a time, whisking until blended.
- Heat until thickened (add more cornmeal if necessary) about 3 minutes
- Stir in the cheese and immediately pour into the prepared bread pan
- Let cool for 30 - 45 minutes. The turn the loaf out on to a cutting board and slice into 1/2 inch slices. At this point you can freeze the polenta for another time or refrigerate it for later in the week.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium high heat
- If using the polenta, heat a saute or grill pan over high heat.
- Add the onion, zucchini and Italian seasoning and saute until soft, about 5 minutes
- Pour in the tomato sauce and beans.
- Simmer for 5 - 10 minutes
- Meanwhile, brown or grill the polenta slices in the saute or grill pan on both sides until brown.
- Stir the Parmesan cheese in the tomato and bean sauce and serve immediately over the polenta.
Seriously - delicious... (I have got to remember to get a pic before it's all gone...)