Spain - Gazpacho
Serves 6 -8
- 2 red peppers
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 cucumber, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp fresh finely chopped tarragon or 1/4 tsp dried
- 4 slices thick country bread, crusts removed
- 1 liter vegetable cocktail, low sodium
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees
- Place the tomatoes, peppers and garlic on a shallow pan in a single layer.
- Roast for 30 minutes
(You can also roast the tomatoes peppers and garlic on the BBQ over medium heat)
- The tomatoes will be done after 30 minutes, continue roasting the peppers and garlic for another 15 minutes
- Place the tomatoes and peppers in a glass bowl, cover and let stand until cool enough to handle, about 20 - 30 minutes
- Peel the peppers and tomatoes, discard the seeds and stems
- Dice and place with the garlic, in a food processor or blender, blend until still a little chunky
- Place in a large bowl.
- Soak the bread in some of the vegetable cocktail until soaked. Drain the bread and add it to the blender or food processor.
- Add cucumber, olive oil, vinegar and tarragon to the food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Put the cucumber and bread mixture in the bowl with the tomatoes, peppers and garlic.
- Add the rest of the vegetable cocktail to the bowl and stir
- Chill for 8 hours.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as necessary.