Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Freezin' Rice and a recommendation for the BBQ (I promise Spring is coming, it just has to be!)

Last night I made a great stir fry. Broccoli and Chicken Stir Fried Rice. I had just gotten a great deal on boneless chicken breasts so I'm feelin' foot loose and fancy free with the stuff (which is usually more expensive than Caviar...). If I wanted to make this recipe more budget friendly I would have used a lean cut of beef or pork. You could also use Shrimp which sometimes are a better price than boneless chicken breasts!

I used a big bag of frozen broccoli which worked out quite well in this dish. But the best part was simply pulling out the frozen cooked rice. By using rice out of the freezer, this becomes a one dish meal! So when you cook rice, cook extra, freeze it in 1 cup serving sizes and you'll save extra time later. Also, freezing the rice dries it out a bit, making it perfect for adding to dishes and really great for making fried rice.

Oh, and the Hoisin and Lime Marinated Chicken mentioned in the Broccoli and Chicken Stir Fried Rice recipe above (which I actually did as directed in the recipe)... well I bookmarked that recipe for next summer for the bbq. You can bring home your chicken and add it to the marinate before freezing. Then on a nice day when you are ready to bbq, you just pull it out of the freezer, let it defrost while it soaks up the marinate and you are good to go. I'm starting a list of recipes for this summers CJ and Granny Tan's 2nd Annual Most Excellent Cottage Getaway and this one is definitely on it!

1 comment:

Tanya said...

We're going to be able to make a good book from the annual event :)