Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tofu and Carrot Ginger Dressing

As I mentioned, I got a new cookbook for Christmas from the Moosewood Collective called Simple Suppers. I came across a recipe for sesame tofu... Hmmm, sounded interesting. A couple of times when out for sushi I've had the fried tofu and it's quite tasty. So I wanted to give this sesame tofu recipe a try. It was deadly simple. Brush the tofu with soy sauce and honey mixed together then roll the tofu around in the sesame seeds. Be sure you have a really hot pan to sear the tofu in. I used a combination of canola and sesame oil in the pan but you don't need a lot. I used about 1/2 tbsp to do 2 pieces. The tofu had a great crispy crust while being light inside. I used the firm tofu.


Give it a try!

So with this meal I had a Japanese inspired salad. When we go out for sushi we often comment on the salad dressing. So I decided that, given the obscene amount of lettuce I had on hand, I should attempt to make the dressing to go with my Japanese inspired tofu. I did a little research, tweaked the recipe based on what I had and ended up with the perfect dressing

Carrot-Ginger Dressing
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup tofu, firm or medium
  • 1/2 cup grated carrots
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 tbsp grated ginger
  • 1 tsp wasabi powder
  • 1 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tsp honey

Instructions:
  1. Blend in a blender, food processor or with a hand (immersion) blender.

You could use the silken tofu but then you'll want to use miso paste instead of soy and maybe add some salt.

YUM!

No comments: