Friday, August 03, 2007

No- Cook Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

Here's a recipe that's sure to please during these dog days of summer. It has be ridiculously hot around here. Everything, including breakfast for company, is going on the bbq these days.

I had come across a bag of cheap red peppers at the grocery store so I thought I would roast them up. I knew I wouldn't use them up before they went bad and roasted them is a great way to extend their life span! Roasting is easy. I just threw them on the bbq while I was bbq'ing something else. Turn them to blacken them all around. Then take them off the bbq and put them in a plastic bag. Let them cool then the skins will peel right off. Remove the seeds and you've got perfect roasted red peppers. Don't want to bother? You can buy them in the jar! Here's me making my sauce with show notes below.




Okay, here is the ingredient list
3 roasted red peppers
6 tomatoes, I used canned.
3 cloves of garlic, roasted if you prefer
2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice

Toss it all in the food processor and blend. And then add salt and pepper to taste. That's it. No food processor? A blender or one of those stick/immersion blenders work too. Neither of those? Try a potato masher. You're sauce may not be as smooth but it'll work.

This recipe is also good if you have a surplus of tomatoes on hand.

This recipe makes between 4 - 6 servings but you can double or triple it and freeze the leftovers! You can heat this up on those cold winter nights. Or add some chicken or veggie broth and make a tasty roasted red pepper soup! How's that for versatility?!

No comments: