Serves 3 - 4 points per serving
- 3 tbsp of diced pancetta (or back bacon but you may need to add a little oil to saute it and then the onions in)
- 1 cup of sweet onions
- 2 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 398ml/14 oz. can of tomatoes, low or no sodium
- 1 1/2 cup of low sodium V8
- 2 tsp Old Bay Seasoning or a mix of salt, pepper, red pepper, paprika
- 5 dashes tabassco (it won't make it too hot)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 cup of bay scallops
- 1 fillet of haddock
- 1/2 cup of chicken or veggie broth if needed
Heat the saucepan or soup pot to medium high. Brown the pancetta and remove
it from the pot. Add in the onions using the oil from the pancetta to brown it.
Reduce heat to medium
Add in the garlic and saute for one minute.
Add in the can of tomatoes and use a wooden spoon to break up the
Add in the rest of the ingredients up to and including the
Simmer for a minimum of 15 minutes or up to an hour
Add in the scallops, fish and broth if needed to get the right consistency
for your liking.
Toss in the pancetta and serve with mutigrain crusty bread.
Leave out the seafood and puree the soup and you have the best tasting homemade tomato soup! Want to make cream of tomato? Substitute the last 1/2 cup of broth for milk. I'd be tempted to add in some cheese to at the end to make it just like I used to have as a kid!