Harvest Autumn Chili
Serves 4 - 6
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 lb pork sirloin, cut into 1 inch chunks (2cm)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder (add more if you like it spicy!)
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder (more or less depending on how spicy you like it)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup diced can tomatoes
- 3 apples, peeled and diced
- 2 tsp chicken broth powder and 1 cup water or 1 cup chicken broth or stock
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1 inch/ 2cm chunks
- 1/2 red pepper, diced (I use jarred roasted red peppers but you can use fresh)
- 1 19 oz/540ml can of red kidney beans
- 3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Heat a large saucepan over medium high heat with the vegetable oil drizzled in the pot.
- Brown the pork and toss in the onions, cooking until soft.
- Add the garlic, chipotle, chili, cumin and cinnamon, heat for 30 seconds.
- Add in the tomatoes, apples and chicken broth. Stir and reduce heat to medium low.
- Simmer for 1 hour until the meat is tender.
- Add in the sweet potatoes, red pepper and kidney beans. Increase heat to medium
- Stir, bring back to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and serve.