Disclaimer! Because you open a bunch of cans and packages to make this dish it has the potential to be VERY high in sodium (as in like... you're entire daily content!) so be sure to use no salt added tomatoes and black beans and low sodium broth (I made homemade with no added salt so I can control the overall sodium content when I use the broth in dishes).
Serves 4 -6
- 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes (low or no added salt)
- 19 ounce can of black beans (low or no added salt), drained and rinsed
- 900ml or 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tsp dried Italian seasoning, or a mix of oregano, thyme and rosemary
- 350g cheese ravioli
- 2 cups fresh spinach or 5-6 chunks of frozen spinach (the frozen spinach I get comes in chunk!)
- Parmesan cheese to top each bowl
- In a large saucepan heat the tomatoes, black beans, broth and seasoning over medium high heat until it comes to a boil
- Add in the ravioli and boil until the ravioli comes to the top, about 3 -5 minutes
- Remove the soup from the heat and stir in the spinach.
- Serve in bowls topped with a bit of shredded Parmesan cheese.
This soup does not keep really well as the ravioli will continue to absorb liquid. I have had luck with it in the fridge for a couple of days but eat it quickly! Luckily it's very popular as a lunch item around here.