Non-traditional Cheese Souffle
- 1/3 cup butter (I used salted, if you use unsalted add about 1/2 tsp salt) plus more to butter dish
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 5 extra large or 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese (I used half Emmental and Jarlsberg)
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Butter a 6 cup gratin dish well
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Add flour and mix well with a whisk for about 30 seconds
- Add the milk and whisk well until thickened, 2 - 5 minutes
- Remove from the heat and let cool 10 minutes
- Break the eggs in a bowl and mix well with a fork (yup, no separating the eggs, just add them all at together!)
- Add the eggs, cheese, chives and thyme into the milk mixture and blend well.
- Pour into the buttered dish. At this point you can set it aside and cook later or cook immediately.
- Bake for 30 - 40 minutes until golden brown and puffy
- SERVE IMMEDIATELY! The souffle will start to deflate pretty quickly.
Enjoy! (and you really will enjoy this dish!)