Sunday, November 16, 2008

Let's talk about squash

Like me squash?!

This is a butternut squash. Done giggling? His name is Richard. Now let's commit a little squashicide.

First we must cut him up.

Scoop out the seeds and place it cut side down on a baking sheet. Roast in a 400 degree oven for 30 -40 minutes. You'll know, the squash will be soft when you poke it with a fork. This huge squash is my squash for the winter.
Once it's cooked scoop it out of the skin. I ended up with about 8 cups of squash.


Can't be bothered roasting a whole squash? I hear ya, some days are just like that. You can get the frozen diced butternut squash by arctic gardens at the Sobeys here in Atlantic Canada. You can make both of the following recipes with it.

Okay, picture time is over. Now lets talk recipes. First I made a butternut risotto. You know how I love my risotto...http://thegourmetgoddess.blogspot.com/2007/11/risotto-again-and-rumblings-of-future.html and http://thegourmetgoddess.blogspot.com/2006/09/lets-talk-risotto.html

Bottom line for the butternut squash risotto, add the cooked butternut squash at the end and just heat through. It's awesome. I also add some dried sage because it compliments the squash so nicely. You can use summer savory if you have it instead (newfies will have that one on their shelves).

The other fav I have for butternut squash is soup. I made mine a coconut curry squash soup but you can keep it simple and just use some sage or cinnamon and nutmeg in place of the curry. Instead of coconut milk add a bit of whipping cream, just a cup to smooth it out. This recipe makes 8 servings so a cup of cream won't summons the heart patrol into your kitchen but the flavour is really nice with it so don't leave it out.

Ingredients:

  • 1 tbsp vegetable, canola or grape seed oil
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 tbsp minced ginger
  • 4 stalks of celery, chopped
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 4- 6 cups of broth, chicken or veggie
  • 3 tbsp green curry paste (for the milder soup, use curry powder)
  • 3 apples, peeled and diced
  • 6 cups of squash
  • 1 can of coconut milk, light

Instructions:

  1. Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat
  2. Saute the onions, celery, ginger and garlic until soft
  3. Add the broth and bring to a simmer
  4. Add in the curry, apple and squash. Cook until soft
  5. Puree the soup with an immersion blender (stick blender), blender or potato masher
  6. Pour in the coconut milk and heat through

This freezes beautifully. I make one batch for the winter and that's it!

This is for Rosalie who made my quite proud when she said she reads my blog and tries my recipes. It's humbling to realize people actually read what I write. I hope you enjoy my recipes. More people read this blog than my knitting blog yet less leave comments. So it's a shock to hear that someone tries my recipes. Thanks Rosalie.

No comments: