Saturday, May 30, 2009

Shrimp Cocktail - A Healthy Snack!

I'm a snacker. I admit it. I plan smaller meals knowing that I'm going to snack between meals. 5 smaller meals throughout the day is considered healthier than 3 big meals. But you have to plan for those snacks otherwise you'll over eat. I like to keep my snacks light. One of my favorites is shrimp cocktail. You can get the shrimp rings for pretty cheap, around $3. I buy the cheap ones for my personal snacking but they also work well for adding shrimp to a seafood chowder! Sometimes you can get the medium sized cooked shrimp in the bags on sale so check your prices and watch for sales. I always keep cooked shrimp in my freezer. I also used to always keep bottled cocktail sauce on hand. One day my friend Granny Tan was here and she was surprised that I didn't make my own. She always makes her own. Well if she can do it then so can I!

Cocktail Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup ketchup
  • 2 tsp garlic chili sauce (I use the Thai version)
  • 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tsp horseradish

Instructions:
  1. Blend and chill
  2. Adjust the tastes to suit your liking!
Easy, peasy, cheesy and you'll never buy store made again!

1 comment:

Tanya said...

And it's always fresh too :)