Friday, April 20, 2012

Thai Chicken Burgers and Peanut Sauce

UPDATE:  This is what happens when I blog and watch Coronation Street at the same time...  A little adjustment, use the leftover sauce to baste the burgers and I added a tbsp of chopped basil to the sauce at the last minute.  I have frozen chopped basil done up in ice cube trays then popped into ziplock bags.  Then I have them ready to go all yearlong and they were perfect in this recipe.  The recipe is updated and corrected below.

PS. these are just as awesome cold, all by themselves as the leftovers have disappeared today...

I just had the most lovely burger and I thought I'd share it right away.  It got rave reviews.  Chicken burgers are such a great way to extend your burger repertoire without overdoing it on the red meat!  This recipe calls for Chili Sauce.  Since I picked some up I must say it's my new favorite ingredient.  And with bbq season coming up I think I'll be pulling it out of the fridge quite often....


Thai Chicken Burgers with Peanut Sauce
Serves 6

Ingredients:
Sauce:
  • 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
  • 3 tsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 2 tsp lemon zest
  • 2 tsp grated ginger
  • 1 1/2 tbsp chili sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic chili pepper sauce (the Thai stuff)
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp chopped chives
  • 2 tbsp hot water to loosen the sauce
  • 1 tbsp chopped basil fresh or frozen
Burgers:
  • 3 tbsp sauce
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tbsp chives, chopped
  • 2 green onions, finely chopped
  • 1 - 1 1/4 lb ground chicken
Condiments:
  • 2 tbsp mayo mixed with 2 tbsp chili sauce
  • Spinach
  • Red Onions, thinly sliced
  • Sliced Tomatoes
Instructions:
  1. Mix the sauce ingredients and set aside
  2. Mix the burger ingredients and divide into 6 burgers, refrigerate for an hour or so to set but then take out the burgers and let sit at room temp for 15 - 20 minutes before grilling.
  3. The burgers will be loose.  I did mine on my griddle pan on the stove and as long as you put them on the heat and then don't touch them for at least 8 minutes, they shouldn't fall apart!
  4. Cook the burgers for 20 minutes until cooked through, basting with the leftover sauce on each side.
  5. Serve on the bun of your choice with a smear of the mayo/chili sauce spread topped with spinach, red onion and tomatoes. 

I served mine with turnip fries tossed with a sprinkle of ground coriander and turmeric. They were super tasty with the mayo/chili sauce for dipping.

No comments: