Monday, July 20, 2009

Polenta (and can you really do that with tofu?!)

I just had a thought.... is it wrong to wrap tofu in bacon? I was just thinking about what to have tomorrow and remembered I picked up some bacon on sale "buy one get one free" at the Sobey's. I went for the toilet paper sale but that's another story. I buy it(bacon) on sale and separate it into 2 pieces per package and freeze it. Then I just the right portion for chowders, making fresh bacon bits or even for the occasional breakfast. Don't ask me why wrapping tofu with it came to mind. I think it would freak out some earth muffin vegetarian vibe out there in the universe resulting in some sort of plague against meat. So maybe not.

On another note, I made polenta for the first time. EASY!! And really tasty. I kept it super simple. This is great in place of potatoes, rice, couscous, noodles, etc. And you can change the flavorings to suit your meal or your own taste buds!

Italian Polenta
Serves 4
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1 1/3 cup water
  • 3 ounces grated parmesan
  • 5 big leaves of basil, chopped
  • Salt to taste

Instructions:
  1. Put 1 cup water and cornmeal in a bowl and let soak.
  2. Put the rest of the water in a pot and bring to a boil
  3. Add the cornmeal mixture to the boiling water and reduce to low.
  4. Simmer until thickened, it will happen quickly, just a couple of minutes
  5. Stir in the cheese until blended
  6. Stir in the basil
  7. Taste and add salt to taste
  8. Serve!
(I do have some great recipes for the freezer for veggies coming into harvest this time of year. I swear I'll get them up soon...)

No comments: